Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Other Activities Develops a Better Tennis Player

I have been teaching tennis lessons since I graduated from high school. I played college tennis. This was really the only activity I focused on. While this helped me to have an ability to focus on one task at hand, I now realize the importance of being in multiple activities for children ten and under. One of the things that happens for children ten and under who are in multiple activities is they develop more athletic and cognitive skills. My issue with just playing tennis is that I had a greater chance for muscle imbalance and over use injuries because my body was always moving in a specific pattern. Children who play tennis, karate, piano, art lessons, gymnastics, just to name a few tend to develop better movement patterns and balance. They tend to have a better focus and understanding of how to get good at a particular activity. In other words they know that a little bit each day develops skills over time. Ultimately, though if you want to choose mastery you will need to pick one or two activities and have complete focus. Until then, develop the athletic skills, fine motor skills, and creative/cognitive skills doing several different activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall Saturday Classes are Here

Stay tuned for our schedule as we return to Encanto Sports Complex. Here is our 2021 Schedule for Saturday Mornings. Register