Monday, June 8, 2015

Factors that Determine Success

I used to think that success was when you accomplished a goal and the more goals you accomplished the more successful you were. I even used to think that the bigger the goals you accomplished meant that you were more successful. The problem I had with this thinking is that it lead to me getting burned out and never feeling content. I just recently read a book by Dave Ramsey called The Legacy Journey and in it he talks about how that was his thinking too. Then one day he had a realization that he was a success not because he was accomplishing goals, but because he was working towards those goals. Too often I would get to the target date of a goal and completely fall short. Then I would be disappointed, but the truth is, I don't know the real end date for a goal to come to fruition. The work I did was opening up things for the future. This applies to tennis because it may take a year for a student to really master a particular stroke or skill. The parent's may be watching or the child may be thinking, I just can't get this. The truth is, the child is a success because they are working toward a goal of mastery, they are actually doing something to get better. Over time, one day it will click.  USTA High Performance Program says dedication and persistence influences the students success was the most important, followed by family and friends support, third was the coaches influence, fourth love for the sport, and fifth was the training program and facility. Our focus in our tennis lessons is to be able to allow our students to enjoy the journey, giving them the support they need, and provide them with the instruction that will allow them to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall Saturday Classes are Here

Stay tuned for our schedule as we return to Encanto Sports Complex. Here is our 2021 Schedule for Saturday Mornings. Register