Monday, June 1, 2015

Has it Been 20 Years? Really?

Encanto Lessons 2014
Summer has always been one of the most exciting times for ten and under tennis lessons. It is a time when so many little ones take an opportunity to try something new or get better at your craft. I think back to when I first started teaching tennis. Amazingly, it was twenty years ago this June and the amazing part is I have just as much energy and strength now as I did then.
On May 30,1995 I was at my high school tennis banquet and our coach had said that a township parks and recreation was looking to start a youth tennis program. I inquired and ended up getting the contact information.  On May 31,1995 I graduated from high school and a week later I had a great summer job. I was looking for a job exactly like this. It was amazing how when everything seemed stacked against me, the perfect opportunity fell into place. 
To show you how committed I was to the job, I can remember the first week lessons were supposed to start, the temperature in Wisconsin was in the 90's with 70-80% humidity, and I was out there waiting for students to show up. No one came that first week. I stayed the entire time and taught a lesson to myself. I figured, I might as well get some practice and teach like I would to 20. In between that time I would go to the local grocery store and set up a table and recruit. To make a long story short, we ended up getting twelve students that summer and in eight summers in Wisconsin, we grew to fifty students in a summer. It was after some time off that I got my vision back and started teaching ten and under tennis lessons as my primary focused and have been blessed with not one, but three locations, that I never could have imagined I would be able to teach at.I look forward to seeing many more students and parents this summer and serving you to develop your skills.
This was one of our most successful programs in 1999


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall Saturday Classes are Here

Stay tuned for our schedule as we return to Encanto Sports Complex. Here is our 2021 Schedule for Saturday Mornings. Register