Friday, March 27, 2020

What's Your Story?

Stories sell. I am not just talking about selling to make money. A testimonial story has the power to influence and transform.  I don't think I have told my story a whole lot, but I think it is one that needs to be told. One of the things I have learned about tennis over the years is you do not have to be a great athlete to be successful at this game. Unlike sports like basketball, football, base
ball, soccer, usually the faster, stronger players are more successful. Tennis is a learned sport and while athletic skill levels can help in your development, it is not the determining factor in your mastery. 
I am not a great athlete, as a matter of fact, I was the last man on my high school team ladder when I started playing. That year I was a freshman in high school. I remember telling people one day I would teach tennis and they laughed. I just remember the many hours spent learning with a friend of mine from high school, going to camps, and winter lessons. For four years I worked and worked, I finally earned a Varsity spot my senior year, but never got to play in a Varsity match. Overlooked for others. Discouraged. Yet, that was not the end of the story. Three years later I had earned a scholarship to Mesa Community College. I hung around on a team that qualified for nationals, even winning a college match. What's my point in all of this? It wasn't my talent that got me to where I wanted to go. It was my determination, passion, and a WHY that helped me on the road to mastery.  I tell this story because one of the main reasons I went into teaching tennis is because I wanted to give students the kind of instruction that I wish I would have had when I was learning. I want to be able to teach the students it seems nobody wants and turn them into somebody everybody wants. I want to help those who are willing to find great difficulty in tennis and yet they still continue on. These are the students who have that passion for mastery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall Saturday Classes are Here

Stay tuned for our schedule as we return to Encanto Sports Complex. Here is our 2021 Schedule for Saturday Mornings. Register