Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Foam Ball Volley

Yesterday I had the chance to experience what it was like to play on a clay tennis court. My yard is hard dirt. I decided to take my racket and my foam tennis ball out to practice my volleys and half volleys against a wall. It was very interesting because I had to adjust my footwork if the ball hit a stone. I noticed that ball was slower when it bounced compared to a hard court. I tell you this story because this is a great way to practice your volleys. 
So how do you start? You will need a foam tennis ball, a tennis racket and a wall or garage door. The surface does not matter.
To start, depending on skill level, I would start by tossing the ball up against the wall and catching it. Practice tossing the ball higher so the ball will come back slower and at an arc shape. 

When you add the racket: Point the racket handle to your opposite foot to keep the racket head up.

Aim with the ball above head height and practice keeping your racket in this position while you volley. If you miss, great, you get to start over! You just start a new game.


You can purchase the foam balls on Amazon or at Big 5 Sporting Goods at Christown Mall.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall Saturday Classes are Here

Stay tuned for our schedule as we return to Encanto Sports Complex. Here is our 2021 Schedule for Saturday Mornings. Register