Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Do Simple Better

I am not really one for taking on too much, but I am one for trying to make a project more than it needs to be. I somehow have the gift of over complicating a task, just because I can. One of the practices I have been working on the last couple of years is to be simple. That means, do less. Less is more. Those have been some mantra's for me, but in 2018, I heard a new mantra. "Do Simple Better." 
Yes, do the simple things, the little things better. Something like our morning rituals, keep them simple and do them better. In other words, be present on the routine instead of just on autopilot. Easier said than done, especially if your mind is still waking up and you feel rushed by the clock. I think all of these mantras have helped me to do one think better, to stop and pause. When I start to get overwhelmed, I stop and pause and say,"Do Simple Better. Less is more. Just one."
I always believe in the power of one thing. I remember tennis guru Vic Braden once said, "If you just improve one part of your game, you are a better player." In other words, you don't have to try and fix everything all at once. I remember when I was first learning how to improve my serve. For years, my teaching pros in high school had told me to break my wrist at contact. When I made a trip to Arizona, a teaching pro, master professional, and co-founder of the Professional Tennis Registry, said,"You don't break the wrist, you turn the forearm." So, for a whole summer, I just worked on turning the forearm. You know, that simple thing did make me better. I still had flaws in my serve motion, but it was better. Anyway, during these days of quarantine, I encourage you to "Do Simple Better." Whether it is tennis or cleaning the sink. Find the simple things in your life and do those better. I have to tell that to myself everyday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall Saturday Classes are Here

Stay tuned for our schedule as we return to Encanto Sports Complex. Here is our 2021 Schedule for Saturday Mornings. Register