Thursday, June 28, 2018

The Power of Obscurity

Over the course of my tennis career there have been times when I was so focused on getting to that top place, the place where I had the attention, I had arrived. I think everyone in some form or another wants the end without the middle. I can remember when I started teaching tennis and wanting it to be a world renowned tennis academy and I did what I could to push for that. What I didn't realize is while the vision is good to have, there is a process. We always tried to act like we were great, but never seemed to get the recognition. The more I pushed, the more I wanted out. The more we became less. 
Over the past five years I discovered something that is not new, but it became a reality to me. The power of obscurity. It is okay to have a small beginning, it is okay to not be known by everyone. Sometimes, if you were known by everyone you wouldn't be ready to handle what that responsibility brings. The key is not to despise the small beginning. Quietly go about your business, being your best and like a magnet people will notice you. 
It is the way we teach our kids to play tennis. They quietly learn how to look good, be friends with the ball, enjoy the feel of the ball on the strings. Over time they develop their skills. When they are ready they may want to play in some junior team tennis or a beginner tournament, not to win, but for the opportunity to play with other kids. 
The key is not to rush your gifts. Stay in obscurity until one day someone notices it. It is okay to be behind the scenes. It is okay to grow your learning. One day when you least expect it you will be the center of attention. People will want what you have. In the mean time, enjoy the secret place of obscurity. Develop the skills, the mindset, the love. Enjoy obscurity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall Saturday Classes are Here

Stay tuned for our schedule as we return to Encanto Sports Complex. Here is our 2021 Schedule for Saturday Mornings. Register