Tuesday, September 16, 2014

My first lesson is the forehand volley.

Every teacher, from tennis to school to another activity, always has a particular way they like to start their students to introduce and progress.  I was originally taught to introduce the serve as the first lesson and for adults, I would still do that. However, the younger I started to teach, I began introducing the forehand and the backhand in order that the student would be able to do what they want to do, hit balls, and hit them like a pro. 

Now I have taken it one step smaller. My first lesson is the forehand volley. In this lesson the student can have immediate success with technique. They can also learn to keep one ball in play in a mini-rally, and they can learn tactics. I usually introduce them to the art of poaching which is an advanced tactic in doubles. The kids love to learn a miniature version of doubles. They are the net person and they learn how to go make the winning shot. I took the winning shot quote from Dennis Van Der Meer of the Professional Tennis Registry. I like that and so do the kids. They all look forward to making the winning shot!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall Saturday Classes are Here

Stay tuned for our schedule as we return to Encanto Sports Complex. Here is our 2021 Schedule for Saturday Mornings. Register